WEEK 1: LAB OVERVIEW
You have been asked to create two conceptual database models using MS Visio Database Model Diagram Template. The purpose of this lab is to have you gain familiarity with the various modeling tools needed to create a conceptual model (entity relationship diagram) of a database. You will create two conceptual models.
You will then open an existing Access database to explore database objects, and to experiment with simple data manipulation using filters and sorts, and to begin elementary work with relationships.
Upon completing this lab, you will be able to do the following.
- Relying on detailed instructions, create a simple conceptual model for a two-table database using MS Visio.
- Use experience gained in creating the first model to construct a similar conceptual model without the instructions.
- Download an existing Microsoft Access database file. Open the database, find and identify different database objects in this database.
Part B: Step 4: YourName_Lab1.vsdx (Visio Diagram)
Part C: Step 8: YourName_Lab1C_ScreenPrints.docx
Microsoft Office: Word 2016, Visio 2016, and Access 2016
Options for accessing the software:
- Use a personal copy on your PC. You can request a copy of Microsoft Office 2016 via Citrix Student Lab at: lab.devry.edu.
- If you are a MAC user, click to read the MAC User Information.
- Click DeVry virtual lab(Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. environment to access all Microsoft Office software. For additional information about the virtual lab and how to save files, click the Lab icon on the Course Resources page.
The following video demonstrates how to do relationships in MS Visio on our Citrix server. If you have the software on your home machine, then fast foward to the point where design concepts in MS Visio begin.
The following video demonstrates how to get around in MS Access and will help you do the lab.
- Download the Week 1 Lab Instructions(Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- Download the following files to complete your Lab assignment: