How did leaders like Booker T. Washington, Ida B. Wells and W.E.B DuBois shape African American thought at the turn of the century?
In your Final Essay Examination, you must address five (5) of the following six (6) essay topics. Each essay should be approximately 500 words (2 pages, double-spaced). You should properly cite all of your sources in APA or Chicago/Turabian format, including textbooks and any other sources you may use.
- How did leaders like Booker T. Washington, Ida B. Wells and W.E.B DuBois shape African American thought at the turn of the century? Compare and contrast their backgrounds and perspectives.
- Use this digital interactive(Links to an external site.) as a source to draw conclusions about the impact of the Great Migration of the early to mid-20th century on African American communities. Why did African Americans leave the South, where did they settle, and why?
- Source: Gregory, J.N. (2015). America’s great migrations(Links to an external site.). In Mapping American social movements through the 20th century. Retrieved from: http://depts.washington.edu/moving1/ma_black_migration.shtml
- Explain the concept of the “Double V” campaign during World War II. How did it represent African American perspectives on and experiences in the war and the home front?
- There were many active organizations in the Civil Rights era with a common commitment to advocating for change, but with differing goals and methods. Compare and contrast the goals, membership, and tactics of the following groups in the 1960s: NAACP, SNCC, and SCLC.
- Examine the rise of the Black Feminist movement in the 1970s. How did the movement intersect with Black Power and white-dominated feminist groups? How did it impact African American women’s lives in the 1970s and 1980s?
- What do you think were the 3 most significant issues impacting the African American community at the end of the 20thcentury and start of the 21st century (1980s-2000s) and why?