EBP-Cental Line Infections
ALL references MUST be within the last 5 years.
Peer-reviewed research reports are reports reviewed by other credible experts in the field. Nursing, as a profession, uses peer-reviewed primary research reports to make credible and evidence-based practice implications and recommendations in the clinical area.
In this task, you will collect and analyze 10 research reports (primary research evidence) on one topic of interest to you in nursing practice or healthcare.
A. Select a piece of primary research (original research reports) from a research journal that has nursing implications and critique the article by doing the following:
Note: Please notice that you can collect 10 research reports first and then select one of those to complete aspect A of this task.
1. Identify the article you have chosen in an APA-formatted citation.
2. Design a visual representation (e.g., graph or chart) to show how the researcher addressed the five areas of a research report (background information or introduction, review of the literature, discussion of methodology, specific data analysis, and conclusion).
Note: You may use the following table.
A1 Article: (indicate primary evidence chosen by way of an APA citation)
A2 Background or Introduction
A2 Review of the Literature
A2 Discussion of Methodology
A2 Data Analysis
A2 Researcher’s conclusion
3. Based on your analysis of the five areas, assess whether the evidence presented in the research report supports the researcher’s conclusion.
4. Discuss ethical issues that may have arisen for the researcher while conducting the research for the article.
5. Discuss the type of research used for the study.
a. Explain whether or not other types of research would have been appropriate in the same situation.
B. Conduct a literature search to evaluate nursing care or management implications of a
nursing intervention by doing the following:
1. Discuss evidence for a nursing care or management problem.
2. Complete the attached matrix to list 10 research sources, in APA format, from
scholarly journal sources you locate in major medical databases (e.g., CINAHL,
PubMed, MedLine, or a hard copy journal).
Note: In aspect B you should gather 9 more pieces of similar research on the same
topic as in aspect A so you have a total of 10 pieces of research to make a practice
implication (a minimum of 8 authors should be used).
Note: You may submit your completed matrix as a separate attachment to the task
or you may include the matrix within your paper.
Note: Credible sources may include professional journals, research reports,
professional Web sites, governmental reports, and presentations from professional
meetings. Research articles must not be more than ten years old.
3. Conduct a review of the 10 peer-reviewed research articles in which you do the
a. Develop an annotated bibliography of the
Note: An annotated bibliography is one that includes not only a brief summary of
content for each book or article reviewed, but also contains other relevant comments
and information that the candidate believes can be of help for future study. See Web
Links below for more information on annotated bibliographies.
b. Discuss whether the researchers’ evidence collected is adequate to make a
recommendation for a practice change.
c. Identify the tools the researchers chose to use.
i. Discuss whether the researchers chose tools that were similar or different.
d. Discuss whether you believe the tools the researchers chose could have affected
4. Develop an evidence summary of the articles, identifying at least two key criteria that
were used to develop it.
5. Recommend a specific nursing strategy based on the researcher’s recommendations
and evidence you found in your review.
6. Explain why you believe it is important to use a theoretical model for nursing
C. When you use sources, include all in-text citations and references in APA format.